Person-centred Dementia Care
This micro-skills course will help you to understand that person-centred dementia care involves: respecting the human rights of all people living with dementia, including their rights to dignity, liberty, privacy and to be treated in a humane way; engaging with the person as a unique individual taking into account their life experience, unique abilities, interests, culture, likes, dislikes and needs; taking the person’s perspective and seeing the world through their eyes, including ensuring people living with dementia and their family carers are equal partners in decisions about their care; providing a supportive and enabling physical and social environment.
What will I learn?
By the end of this micro-skills course you will be able to:
- Discuss the rights-based approach to valuing all people living with dementia
- Recognise that each person living with dementia is a unique individual with distinct social and cultural backgrounds and personal preferences and needs
- Empathise with the experience of living with dementia; seeing the person’s experience through their eyes and use life story work and advance care planning to ensure their perspective is central to decisions about their care
- Describe how to ensure we meet the rights and needs of people living with dementia through interaction and relationships and an enabling physical environment
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.