Patient Autonomy and Patient Ethics
This micro skills course will examine the ethical principles underlying the concept of autonomy. It will discuss the implications of respect for autonomy on clinical practice, and provide guidance for promoting autonomy in healthcare provision.
Online - Self Paced
Yes, on completion
Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Outline the ethical principles of autonomy and best interests
- Describe the relevance of autonomy to good medical practice and patient-centred medicine
- Identify opportunities within foundation practice to demonstrate support for patient autonomy
- Describe practical strategies for managing situations in which doctors and patients have different opinions
- Recognise and apply your ethical, professional and legal obligations in end-of-life decisions, including advance decisions to refuse treatment
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.