Ethics – Moral Issues
This micro skills course introduces ethical dilemmas in medicine and the law. We will look at ethical guidelines and codes of practice that regulate the behaviour of healthcare professionals and then examine the four key principles that underlie them. We will look at professional behaviour including honesty and examine when it’s in the patient’s interest to make a paternalistic intervention. Finally, this micro skills course will explore when ethical issues cast doubts on the instinct to save life.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Discuss the dilemmas in medical ethics and the law due to the advances in medicine;
- Apply the four key principles upon which medical ethics rests;
- Relate honestly to patients, colleagues and yourself;
- Evaluate when weak paternalism is justified;
- Discuss the circumstances in which ethical issues cast doubts on when it is in the patients interest to preserve life
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.