Ethics – Consent
This micro skills course looks at aspects of consent in medicine. It starts by looking at consent in research before focussing on consent to treatment. It examines what happens before the age of consent and what can be done when consent is refused. Consent in the case of people with learning difficulties is then explored and the micro skills course finishes with how a person can retain autonomy in advance, in circumstances in which they may become incompetent, by writing a living will.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Discuss the issue of consent in research;
- Obtain consent to treat a child under 16 and discuss the options when a competent minor refuses treatment;
- Describe the principles of consent;
- Discuss the nature of competency with regard to consent
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.