Dementia Identification, Assessment and Diagnosis
This micro-skills course explores the identification, assessment and diagnosis of dementia and the benefits of an early diagnosis. Later, it will investigate what the assessment process entails and how it is experienced by people with dementia, stressing why it is important to ensure that people undergoing assessment are treated sensitively and receive appropriate post-diagnostic support.
What will I learn?
By the end of this micro-skills course you will be able to:
- Identify the most common types of dementia and their underlying causes
- Describe the signs and symptoms of dementia that indicate the need for assessment
- Explain why early diagnosis of dementia is beneficial and the possible outcomes if assessment and treatment is delayed
- Describe the criteria and process used to gain a diagnosis of dementia
- Explain why it is important to treat people undergoing diagnosis with sensitivity and in a manner appropriate to them
- Explain how to refer patients to access specialist services and support networks
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.