This micro skills course describes cultural competence and its importance for health professionals working across cross-cultural situations.
Online - Self Paced
Yes, on completion
NHS Health Education England
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the key components of a culturally competent service;
- Describe what being culturally competent in your area of work means;
- Explain why health professionals have a responsibility to develop an awareness of diverse cultures;
- Explain the importance of self-awareness and the impact your own prejudices, beliefs, values and cultural roots have on your interactions and care of patients who are not from your own social and cultural group;
- Describe the impact of making assumptions based on individuals’ cultural background or behaviour in particular circumstances;
- Explain what is meant by the term ‘cultural safety’
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.