Anticoagulation in Pregnancy
This micro skills course covers the use of anticoagulants in pregnancy, with specific reference to the acute management of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in pregnancy. The safety issues for the mother and fetus of unfractionated heparin (UH), low molecular weight heparins (LMWH) and warfarin are discussed.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the advantages of low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) over unfractionated heparin (UH)
- Highlight why it is the treatment of choice in pregnancy
- List the adverse effects of warfarin on the developing fetus
- Liaise with a pregnant patient, her obstetrician and obstetric anaesthetist about peripartum management of anticoagulation
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.