This micro skills course covers the specialist investigation and management of ano-rectal and enteric sexually-transmitted infections (STIs), including the selection of an appropriate range of tests. Appropriate surgical and medical referral criteria will also be covered.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Recall the prevalence of selected STIs in the rectum in different populations
- Select appropriate laboratory tests for ano-rectal investigation, particularly in acute proctitis
- Specify when to use blind sampling and when and how to use a proctoscope
- Select appropriate anti-microbial therapy for rectal STIs, understanding why this may differ from infection at other sites
- Investigate and manage sexually-associated enteric infections
- Advise patients about the risk of transmission of STIs from anal sex
- Advise appropriate follow-up testing for associated blood-borne viruses
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.