Term Newborn Babies at Risk of Respiratory Distress (Community)
This micro skills course will take you through three case studies of term newborn babies delivered in midwife-led units (MLUs) or home births. These are babies who present with respiratory signs and require clinical assessment, and may require stabilisation and transfer to the Consultant Led Maternity Unit.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Use the clinical assessment of a term newborn with respiratory symptoms to determine the clinical condition of the baby
- Discuss how clinicians can support and enhance the normal physiological adaptations made by the baby, and support the mother and family within the first hour
- Determine ongoing safe placement of the baby and mother, directing any stabilisation and transfer requirements
- Implement the principals of stabilisation of the term newborn in a community setting
- Enable appropriate transfer of the term newborn into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) when required
- Promote the principles of Better Births and the ‘ATAIN programme’
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.