Support patients with administration of medication
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to prepare for and provide medication assistance, and complete medication documentation. It also involves supporting a client to self-administer medication. This micro skills course applies to community services and health workers with authority in their state or territory to assist with the administration of medication.
What will I learn?
- Prompt client to take medication at correct time
- Prepare medications and support clients with administration of medication according to legislation, organisation policies, medication requirements and individual care plans
- Make checks to ensure the right medication is given at the right time, to the right person, in the right amount, via the right route
- Oversee and observe clients when taking medication and confirm with them their ingestion or completion
- Implement documented procedures for medication not being administered or absorbed
- Complete medication administration records according to organisation procedures and regulatory requirements
- Observe client for changes in condition and report to supervisor or health professional as required by organisation procedures
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Prepare to assist with medication. Prepare the client for assistance with the administration of medication.