Sickle Cell Anaemia and Thalassaemia
The aim of this micro skills course is to provide an overview of the clinical management of sickle cell disease and thalassaemia with specific reference to anaesthesia. This micro skills course will review the definition, pathophysiology and clinical presentation of both sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia before concluding with a section on the safe conduct of anaesthesia in patients with these conditions.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Define sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
- Describe the pathophysiology of sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia
- Identify the stimuli that can trigger a sickle cell crisis
- Recognize patients with symptoms and signs of sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
- Describe appropriate investigation and management of patients with sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
- Identify a safe anaesthetic technique for patients with sickle cell disease or thalassaemia
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.