This micro skills course will examine the ways in which a sexual history can be different from a general medical history. It will discuss some of the issues from the patient/clients perspective and highlight some of the barriers to effective communication in this setting. The essential components of a sexual history will be outlined along with the reasons behind why we need to enquire about sexual practices/behaviour. Finally, this micro skills course will explore issues of assessing risk, look at terminology and language which may or may not be appropriate and explore documenting a sexual history.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the important ways in which a sexual history consultation differs from a standard medical history
- Explain why it is important to ask about sexual practices/behaviour
- Describe the essential components of a sexual history
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues from the perspective of the patient/client
- Explain how to overcome some of the potential barriers to effective communication in such a setting
- Demonstrate an ability to close a sexual history
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.