Present prepared food
This micro skills course describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare dishes for people who have special dietary needs for health, lifestyle or cultural reasons. It requires the ability to confirm the dietary requirements of customers, use special recipes, select special ingredients and produce food to satisfy special requirements. This micro skills course does not include menu planning for special diets.
The micro skills course applies to cooks working in health environments.
It applies to individuals who work under the guidance of more senior chefs. They demonstrate autonomy and judgement to complete routine activities and take limited responsibility in known and stable contexts within established parameters.
What will I learn?
- Present nutritionally balanced food in an appetising and attractive manner
- Visually evaluate dish and adjust presentation as required
- Store dishes in appropriate environmental conditions
- Minimise waste to maximise profitability of food items prepared
- Clean work area, and dispose of or store surplus and re-usable by-products according to organisational procedures, environmental considerations, and cost-reduction initiatives
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Confirm special dietary requirements and select ingredients. Prepare foods to satisfy nutritional and special dietary requirements.