Prepare the client for assistance with administration of medication
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to prepare for and provide medication assistance, and complete medication documentation. It also involves supporting a client to self-administer medication. This micro skills course applies to community services and health workers with authority in their state or territory to assist with the administration of medication.
What will I learn?
- Clarify specific assistance required to address personal needs of each client
- Identify level and type of supervision required by client for assistance with medications within organisation policies and work role responsibilities
- Correctly identify and greet each client, explain administration procedures and prepare them for medication
- Check individual client medications according to organisation procedures
- Prior assisting client with their medication, check for presence of any client physical or behavioural changes and report to supervisor or health professional
- Recognise circumstances in which medication administration should not proceed and seek advice of supervisor or health professional
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Prepare to assist with medication