Prepare for medication administration
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to administer medications to people and monitor them, as per the delegation from a relevant health professional, in accordance with legislation and the employing organisations medication and delegation policies and practice. This micro skills course applies to community services and health workers with the relevant authority in their state or territory to administer medication and monitor them as per the delegation from a relevant health professional.
Ongoing requirements to demonstrate competency in drug calculations may apply, and users should refer to relevant state/territory regulatory requirements.
What will I learn?
- Confirm delegating health professionals authority to proceed with delegation of medication administration according to organisation policies, guidelines and protocols and jurisdictional legislative and regulatory requirements
- Clarify own role and limitations in providing assistance with medication administration with delegating health professional
- Check that all equipment, including dose administration aids, are complete, ready for use, up to date and tamper free before proceeding
- Follow infection control procedures
- Confirm medication administration route and procedure
- Confirm purpose and function of prescribed medications from care plans and delegating health professional
- Accurately calculate medication dosages according to authorised documented request
- Prepare medications according to delegated role and in line with legal and environmental guidelines
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Identify situations that are a potential risk to the safe administration of medications