Prepare foods to satisfy nutritional and special dietary requirements
This micro skills course describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare dishes for people who have special dietary needs for health, lifestyle or cultural reasons. It requires the ability to confirm the dietary requirements of customers, use special recipes, select special ingredients and produce food to satisfy special requirements. This micro skills course does not include menu planning for special diets.
The micro skills course applies to cooks working in health environments.
It applies to individuals who work under the guidance of more senior chefs. They demonstrate autonomy and judgement to complete routine activities and take limited responsibility in known and stable contexts within established parameters.
What will I learn?
- Follow recipes to produce dishes for those with special dietary requirements
- Modify menu items to meet different dietary requests by excluding or substituting ingredients while maintaining equivalent nutritional value
- Communicate specific dietary requirements for food preparation to other team members
- Select appropriate ingredients to ensure optimum nutritional quality of dishes
- Use appropriate equipment and cooking techniques for specific diets
- Employ suitable preparation and cooking techniques to retain optimum nutritional values
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Confirm special dietary requirements and select ingredients