Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
This course describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare dishes for people who have special dietary needs for health, lifestyle or cultural reasons. It requires the ability to confirm the dietary requirements of customers, use special recipes, select special ingredients and produce food to satisfy special requirements. This course does not include menu planning for special diets.
The course applies to cooks and patissiers working in health care facilities.
It applies to individuals who work under the guidance of more senior chefs. They demonstrate autonomy and judgement to complete routine activities and take limited responsibility in known and stable contexts within established parameters.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this course at the time of publication.
What will I learn?
- Confirm dietary and cultural food requirements of the customer
- Liaise with others to clarify requirements
- Recognise potential health consequences of overlooking special dietary requirements of customers
- Access special dietary recipes and select specialised ingredients
- Identify from recipes and packaging, ingredients that may cause health consequences due to food allergies or intolerance
- Exclude ingredients from dishes as requested by the customer
- Follow recipes to produce dishes for those with special dietary requirements
- Modify menu items to meet different dietary requests by excluding or substituting ingredients while maintaining equivalent nutritional value
- Communicate specific dietary requirements for food preparation to other team members
- Select appropriate ingredients to ensure optimum nutritional quality of dishes
- Use appropriate equipment and cooking techniques for specific diets
- Employ suitable preparation and cooking techniques to retain optimum nutritional values
- Present nutritionally balanced food in an appetising and attractive manner
- Visually evaluate dish and adjust presentation as required
- Store dishes in appropriate environmental conditions
- Minimise waste to maximise profitability of food items prepared
- Clean work area, and dispose of or store surplus and re-usable by-products according to organisational procedures, environmental considerations, and cost-reduction initiatives
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
There are no pre-requisites for this course.