Needle Stick (Sharps) Injuries
This micro skills course will provide you with the tools you need to understand the risks associated with needle stick and other sharps injuries and the action you need to take to prevent these injuries or deal with them if they happen. We will review the settings in which these injuries most often occur, the prevalence of the common blood-borne viral infections and the risks of these infections being passed on after a sharps injury. You will review the action you and others need to take if you suffer such an injury.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Define a significant exposure and describe the major blood-borne infectious hazards associated with it
- Describe the settings in which needle stick/sharps injuries are most likely to occur and the various factors that might contribute to this occurrence
- Discuss the action that you should take in the event that you sustain a sharps injury
- Discuss the role played by vaccination and post-exposure prophylaxis in reducing the infectious risk of sharps injuries
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.