In this session we describe how to approach the clinical assessment of a child who is limping, or has limb pains. We outline important causes of limp and limb pain, including growing pains and inflammatory conditions, and red flags that highlight when you should be concerned. We describe normal variants of lower limb development and when referral for specialist opinion is needed. A brief overview of scoliosis is given, and some key issues are discussed relating to school attendance and resumption of normal activities following a fracture.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Identify normal variants and know when a child needs a specialist referral, for example for flat feet or knock-knees
- Describe an approach to take for the child who is limping, including what conditions to consider
- Describe an approach to take for the child with limb pains, including the need for specialist referral
- Describe features of scoliosis
- Describe barriers to returning to school/education for the child with healing fractures
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.