Mental Health Awareness
This introductory micro skills course aims to raise awareness of mental health issues with healthcare staff. It is designed to give a broad overview of what encompasses mental illness whilst highlighting the link between mental and physical health diagnoses. It also provides some simple guidance on how best to care for someone with mental health difficulties. More detailed profession-specific learning micro skills courses will be contained in later modules within this series.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Explain how common mental illness is in the general population
- Describe the breadth (or range) of mental health diagnoses and presentations
- Explain the concept of parity of esteem
- Identify sources of support for an individual with a mental health diagnosis or learning disability
- Describe principles which healthcare workers can incorporate into their clinical practice to improve interactions with patients with mental health needs
- This session uses self assessments that help you check what you have learnt. You do not have to use them and your answers are not seen by anyone else
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.