This micro skills course will outline the basic definitions of local and regional anaesthesia (LA and RA), and advise when to use each as a sole technique and when to use in combination with general anaesthesia (GA). It will also cover consent issues, minimal safety standards for block performance and briefly outline a few of the more common techniques. Comprehensive details about individual regional anaesthetic techniques are provided in the specific section (Block 5b).
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- State how the addition of local and regional techniques to general anaesthesia can improve outcome;
- Identify the patient safety issues associated with regional techniques, including life-threatening complications and nerve damage
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.