This micro skills course will introduce the types of intravenous fluids available for use during and after surgery. These fluids can be classified into colloids and crystalloids and their advantages and disadvantages will be discussed. Blood and blood products will not be covered.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Identify the types of intravenous fluids available;
- Describe the composition of commonly prescribed fluids;
- Identify crystalloid and colloid fluids;
- Discuss how these fluids distribute through the body compartments;
- Prescribe postoperative fluids
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.