Implement trauma informed care
This course describes the skills and knowledge required to promote trauma informed care, and to develop strategies to address peoples specific trauma needs. Trauma informed care involves providing services that are informed by the knowledge and understanding of the impact of trauma, in particular interpersonal violence and varying service practice to reduce the likelihood of re-traumatisation. This course applies to work with people with mental illness in a range of community services work contexts.
What will I learn?
- Apply the key principles and practices of trauma informed care in all work
- Develop strong safe relationships and environments that promote a sense of safety, trust, choice and control
- Empathically and sensitively, acknowledge and respond to disclosures of past and current trauma or abuse
- Respond to current distress in ways that reflect an understanding of the impacts of trauma
- Jointly identify the person’s strengths, resilience and range of strategies used to cope with and manage the impact of trauma
- Communicate information about the impact of trauma to people in a culturally and age sensitive way
- Work with the person to identify the impact of trauma in the development of mental health issues
- Collaboratively identify and develop strategies to eliminate, minimise and/or manage potential triggers to traumatisation and re-traumatisation in relation to service provision
- Collaboratively record and complete required documentation in ways that minimise likelihood of re-traumatisation
- Collaboratively identify a persons specific trauma needs
- Determine capacity of the service to respond to peoples trauma issues
- Identify with the person, their need for specialist trauma services and support
- Provide information on a range of services and available supports and foster choice and control for the person
- Apply accepted procedures to evaluate the options of bringing in specialist support and/or appropriate referral
- Facilitate and support referral for specialist trauma services for the person, with consent
- Follow-up referral to ensure persons needs are being met
- Incorporate recognition of the impact of trauma in the development of individual support plans
- Reflect on aspects of current service practice and programs to identify areas for improved trauma informed practice
- Regularly gather feedback from the person and others to identify potential areas for improved trauma informed service practices
- Identify service policies, procedures or practices that could potentially contribute to traumatisation and re-traumatisation
- Develop change strategies and plans to strengthen trauma informed practice, in collaboration with a person with lived experience of trauma
- Provide information and resources to other workers that promotes trauma informed principles and practices in the workplace
- Participate in trauma informed supervision or peer supervision
- Contribute to the development of policies to reduce or minimise experiences of vicarious trauma
- Take appropriate action to ensure safety
- Acknowledge limits of own abilities and make referrals as appropriate
- Proactively review programs, services and plans to minimise potential issues or incidents
- Defuse, and de-escalate potential incidents by implementing individual plans or service procedures
- Respond and communicate effectively and sensitively to people in distress
- Resolve conflicts using conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Identify emergency situations and seek assistance according the needs of all those involved
- Implement self care practices including reflection, supervision and debriefing
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
There are no pre-requisites for this course.