Health Communication with Young People: Setting the Scene
Young people, parents, and health professionals each enter any health consultation with their own agenda and preconceived ideas. These will have an impact on the communication that subsequently takes place. In this micro skills course we describe some of the attitudes, emotions and issues that may affect the consultation and suggest ways by which it is possible to influence these in order to achieve a more positive outcome.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- List some of the attitudes and ideas that young people, parents and health professionals have about communicating with each other
- Consider how your expectations about a consultation will influence effectiveness
- Consider how to create opportunities to meet with young people in independent consultations
- Evaluate when it is important to meet with young people alone
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.