Handle medication contingencies
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to administer medications to people and monitor them, as per the delegation from a relevant health professional, in accordance with legislation and the employing organisations medication and delegation policies and practice. This micro skills course applies to community services and health workers with the relevant authority in their state or territory to administer medication and monitor them as per the delegation from a relevant health professional.
Ongoing requirements to demonstrate competency in drug calculations may apply, and users should refer to relevant state/territory regulatory requirements.
What will I learn?
- Report medication refusal or incomplete ingestion to supervising health professional according to organisations procedures and protocols
- Clearly identify contaminated or out of date medication and implement organisations procedures for safe and appropriate disposal
- Observe and record changes in the clients condition according to the organisations guidelines and report to supervisor and health professional
- Record and report any inconsistencies according to delegation and organisation guidelines and procedures
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Identify situations that are a potential risk to the safe administration of medications. Prepare for medication administration. Identify and prepare the patient for administration of medication. Administer medications within legal parameters. Monitor client reponse to adminstered medication.