General Preoperative Measures
This micro skills course explores the preoperative issues of (1) Restriction of oral food and fluid prior to anaesthesia and (2) Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis, to increase patient safety and decrease perioperative morbidity.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Outline fasting guidelines for patients presenting for surgery;
- Describe methods of pharmacological control of gastric acidity and volume;
- Recognize and categorize risk factors for perioperative venous thromboembolism;
- Describe the need for, and methods of, perioperative antithrombotic treatment
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.