Engaging Children and Young People
This micro skills course presents a basic guide to engaging children and young people in a one to one interview. It describes how to prepare for the meeting and how to adapt the setting and your manner for different age and ethnic groups. It offers activities to help conversation flow. It gives examples of how to get the most out of your first encounter with a young person.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Use the guidance provided in this session to interview children or young people in a one to one setting
- Describe how to prepare for the meeting
- Describe how to adapt the setting
- Identify the manner to be used for different age and ethnic groups
- Identify how to get the most out of your first encounter with a young person
- Identify activities to help conversation flow
- Explain the importance of confidentiality and duty of care
- This session uses self assessments that help you check what you have learnt. You do not have to use them and your answers are not seen by anyone else.
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.