Coordinate services for older people
This course describes the skills and knowledge to provide services to an older person. It involves following and contributing to an established individual plan. This course applies to workers in a residential or community context, or those in personal care or support services that work with older people. Work performed requires some discretion and judgement and is carried out under regular direct or indirect supervision.
What will I learn?
- Identify and prioritise the needs, goals and preferences of the older person outlined in the individualised plan
- Coordinate services and support activities in consultation with the older person and colleagues
- Outline and clarify all service providers understanding of the individualised plan and their roles and responsibilities
- Recognise signs consistent with financial, physical or emotional abuse or neglect of the older person and respond in line with organisation guidelines
- Support the older person to access and negotiate resources in order to deliver identified services
- Support the older person to access community support agencies to facilitate the achievement of established goals
- Recognise when a service and/or support worker is no longer able to provide the level of service required and take action to minimise disruption to service delivery
- Recognise the impact of support issues on the carer/s and families and refer appropriately. Provide support and respite for carer/s
- Explain to all service providers the mechanism/s for providing feedback on the effectiveness of the individualised plan
- Obtain feedback from service providers on the effectiveness of the individualised plan and report to supervising health professional
- Seek feedback from the older person and/or their advocate and report to supervising health professional
- Support the older person to seek advice and assistance from relevant health professionals when their goals are not being reached
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
There are no pre-requisites for this course.