Confirm special dietary requirements and select ingredients
This micro skills course describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare dishes for people who have special dietary needs for health, lifestyle or cultural reasons. It requires the ability to confirm the dietary requirements of customers, use special recipes, select special ingredients and produce food to satisfy special requirements. This micro skills course does not include menu planning for special diets.
The micro skills course applies to cooks working in health environments.
It applies to individuals who work under the guidance of more senior chefs. They demonstrate autonomy and judgement to complete routine activities and take limited responsibility in known and stable contexts within established parameters.
What will I learn?
- Confirm dietary and cultural food requirements of the customer
- Liaise with others to clarify requirements
- Recognise potential health consequences of overlooking special dietary requirements of customers
- Access special dietary recipes and select specialised ingredients
- Identify from recipes and packaging, ingredients that may cause health consequences due to food allergies or intolerance
- Exclude ingredients from dishes as requested by the customer
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.