Conduct an assessment of the risk of falls
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to work in partnership with older people and their carers to implement interventions in the context of an individualised plan to reduce risk. This micro skills course applies to support workers in a residential or community context. Work performed requires a range of well developed skills where some discretion and judgement is required. Workers will take responsibility for their own outputs under direct or indirect supervision.
What will I learn?
- Conduct assessment in a manner respectful of the older person’s privacy, dignity, wishes and beliefs
- Determine the older person’s concerns about falling
- Determine how the older person has coped with any previous fall/s
- Identify and explore factors in the older person’s lifestyle that might affect their level of risk
- Determine the older person’s physical indicators of risk of falls using appropriate tools and methodologies
- Conduct the assessment in a manner that minimises unnecessary discomfort to the older person
- Conduct the assessment in a manner that maximises the participation of the older person
- In collaboration with supervisor and/or or relevant health professional, determine any condition/s that the older person has that might affect their level of risk
- Where appropriate, use the support of carers during the assessment process
- In collaboration with supervisor and/or or relevant health professional, determine the older person’s risk factors based on measurements and findings
- Identify the older person’s needs, issues and concerns outside scope of practice and refer to appropriate supervisor and health professional
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Prepare for an assessment of the risk of falls