Communication with Obstetric Team
An obstetric patient with acute or chronic medical complications often requires specialist input from a variety of specialties. This micro skills course describes the input from a range of specialties into some examples of acutely ill obstetric patients.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Recognise the acutely ill pregnant patient
- Identify resuscitation measures and liaise promptly with senior colleagues and obstetricians
- Recognise timely specialist opinion in cases of new presentations in pregnancy e.g. pulmonary oedema, jaundice, diabetes and seizure
- Demonstrate awareness of pregnancy related illness e.g. venous thromboembolism, hyperemesis gravidarum, peripartum cardiomyopathy, pre-eclampsia and its complications: eclampsia, syndrome of haemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelets (HELLP), pulmonary oedema, acute kidney injury and cerebral haemorrhage
- Recognise appropriate differential diagnoses
- Communicate with the obstetric team throughout the diagnostic and management process
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.