Common Electrolyte Disorders (K, Mg Po4)
This micro skills course will discuss the management of critically ill patients with abnormalities in serum potassium (K), magnesium (Mg) and phosphate (PO4).
Online - Self Paced
Yes, on completion
Royal College of Anaesthetists
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- State the normal ranges for serum potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+) and phosphate (PO42-)
- List common causes of hypokalaemia and hyperkalaemia
- Recognize electrocardiograph (ECG) changes caused by hypokalaemia and hyperkalaemia
- Apply management regimens for treating abnormal K+
- List common causes of hypomagnesaemia and hypermagnesaemia
- Recognize the indications for intravenous magnesium
- List the causes of hypophosphataemia and its clinical manifestations
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.