Body Shape and Body Image in Adolescence
This micro skills course explores the normal variations and trends in body shape during adolescence and the factors that commonly influence it, including genetic, ethnic and lifestyle factors. It explains how growth is monitored and explores the common barriers that health professionals may encounter when assessing body shape.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the normal range of adolescent body shape
- Use age-appropriate growth charts for height, weight and body mass index
- Explain the effect of altering the rate of weight gain on body mass index
- Recognise genetic, ethnic and pathological influences on body shape
- Identify common activity trends in male and female adolescents and their effect on body shape
- Outline the issues arising from weighing and measuring young people, including common barriers that health professionals may encounter
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.