BIS, Entropy and Evoked Potentials
This micro skills course will describe BIS, entropy and evoked potentials (all commercially available as depth of anaesthesia monitors). The basic science of the electro-encephalogram (EEG) and EEG processing will be covered together with the changes that occur during anaesthesia. Each monitor will be described in detail. The micro skills course will also discuss the clinical uses and applications of these techniques and conclude with a summary of the research that was carried out using these techniques to study awareness during anaesthesia.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Define the concept of depth of anaesthesia monitoring
- Classify the methods available to monitor depth of anaesthesia
- Recognize the methods commercially available to monitor depth of anaesthesia
- Describe the technique and application of bispectral analysis (BIS)
- Describe the use of spectral entropy
- Describe the technique and clinical application of auditory evoked responses (AER)
- Discuss the clinical relevance of these techniques
- Relate this to recent researches into awareness (unintended awakening) during anaesthesia
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.