Balance Investigations – Excluding the Caloric Test
This micro skills course from NHS Health Education England describes a range of balance tests that can be used to investigate patients reporting balance problems relating to the vestibular system or certain pathways within the brain.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Identify the tests that patients undergo for investigation of their vestibular system and certain pathways within the brain and know how to safeguard patients during these tests;
- List a range of patient anxieties regarding balance investigations and how to allay such anxieties;
- Identify at least three important factors to optimise recording conditions for electronystagmography (ENG) and visual nystagmography (VNG);
- Distinguish between eye blinks, noise and nystagmus in a recording
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.