Assessment and Referral for IUD or IUS Fitting
This micro skills course looks at intrauterine contraception. It will enable the assessment of the suitability of women to use intrauterine devices or systems (IUD/IUS), compare the modes of action, risks and benefits, discuss advice and information to be given to women, follow up and removal. For consistency we have adopted the FSRH Clinical Effectiveness Unit’s guidance. This guidance may differ from the manufacturer’s summary of product characteristics and patient information leaflet.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Identify the information needed to evaluate the suitability of a woman for intrauterine contraception;
- Identify where intrauterine contraception might be contraindicated;
- Describe the risks and benefits of Cu-IUD and LNG-IUS;
- Identify the information given to enable women to choose between Cu-IUD and LNG-IUS;
- Describe the timing and procedure for removal of devices
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.