This micro skills course defines surgical site infections (SSIs) and explains the principles of antibiotic prophylaxis, including risks and benefits. It outlines alternatives available for those patients with penicillin allergy.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the aim of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis;
- Recognise the benefits and risks for surgical antibiotic prophylaxis;
- Identify when and how to administer surgical antibiotic prophylaxis;
- Explain which factors influence the choice of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.