Aminosteroid Neuromuscular Blocking Agents
This micro skills course explores the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of the aminosteroid neuromuscular blocking agents (NMBAs). It explores: the relationship between the chemical structure of these agents, their potency and their route of elimination; the relationship between potency and rate of onset; the use of neuromuscular monitoring by motor nerve stimulation to define the pharmacodynamic properties of these agents; and properties common to this group of drugs.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this session you will be able to:
- List the neuromuscular blocking agents (NMBAs) available in the UK that are aminosteroid compounds
- Discuss the relationship between the chemical structure of these compounds and their distribution and elimination
- Explain the relationship between potency and onset time
- Describe how pancuronium, vecuronium and rocuronium are eliminated
- Specify the intubating dose, onset time and clinical duration of action of pancuronium, vecuronium and rocuronium
Course provided in association with
- This eLearning session is provided by the Content Providers listed above but it does not in any way constitute a qualification or accreditation from them.
- Certificates provided at the end of each session are issued by Talisium under licence and cannot be used by students to seek membership, fellowship or any other form of recognition by the Content Provider.
- This micro skills course may contain references to UK laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This micro skills course may contain features that are not optimised for mobile devices.