Administer medications within legal parameters
This micro skills course describes the skills and knowledge required to administer medications to people and monitor them, as per the delegation from a relevant health professional, in accordance with legislation and the employing organisations medication and delegation policies and practice. This micro skills course applies to community services and health workers with the relevant authority in their state or territory to administer medication and monitor them as per the delegation from a relevant health professional.
Ongoing requirements to demonstrate competency in drug calculations may apply, and users should refer to relevant state/territory regulatory requirements.
What will I learn?
- Administer medications as delegated within role responsibility
- Administer medications according to “rights of medication”, specific requirements from the form prescribed and in accordance with defined legislation, organisation procedures, professional standards and prescribers written instructions where available
- Assist the client taking the medication as required and according to documented procedures and professional standards
- Oversee and observe the client when taking medication and confirm ingestion or completion of administration
- Dispose of all used and unused medication, containers, according to organisation procedures
- Identify signs from client “when necessary” medications might be required, then inform delegating health practitioner and act in accordance with organisations policies, procedures, delegation and role responsibility
- Record administration of medications according to organisation policy
- Provide accurate information to clients and carers on medication administration, including possible side effects as per instructions of the delegating health professional
- This skills course may contain references to Australian laws, regulations, policies and practice guidelines.
- You should apply the lessons within the context of your local environment.
- This skills course may not be available in your country.
- This skills course is delivered by a certified Talisium trainer and assessor in your workplace and requires active student participation including practical skills demonstrations for assessment.
What should I know before commencing this?
Identify situations that are a potential risk to the safe administration of medications. Prepare for medication administration. Identify and prepare the patient for administration of medication.